Admission to the doctoral program is a holistic decision that takes into consideration all the factors of each applicant's background and experience. Specific requirements include:
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better for the last 60 units of college or post-baccalaureate work
- A relevant master's degree from an accredited university
- Evidence of qualities and character in keeping with the philosophy and standards of the University of the Pacific and the Benerd School of Education.
How To Apply
Completed online application, which includes:
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- An essay of 300-500 words describing the following:
- Your professional experiences in education-related fields and the areas of expertise you have acquired along the way
- Professional dispositions, knowledge, and skills you would bring to our program
- Description of one or more educational topics/issues/problems that you find compelling and that you feel needs to be "disrupted" in order to improve educational outcomes
- Ways in which a doctoral degree will advance your prospects for intellectual growth and career aspirations
- Any additional information that may assist the admission committee in evaluating your preparation and aptitude for doctoral study
- A current resume that includes experience (work, community, volunteer), honors, awards, publications, training, research, teaching, etc. relevant to your program of interest.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Departmental interview
- Writing sample of at least 4-5 pages on any topic (e.g., academic paper, master's thesis, professional report that you have written in the past)
Please submit all application documents through the online application portal.
Applicants are encouraged to submit all application materials prior to the priority deadline of January 15th, however, applications will still be accepted through the May 31st application deadline. After this time, applications will be reviewed on a rolling admission, space available basis.
Please note: We continue to accept applications on a space available basis. Please contact our office for more information.