Our school offers several programs that include both teaching credentialing and service credentialing. Benerd's focus is to guide our students through the process of obtaining not only a degree but also to help them through the credentialing process. For students who are interested in teaching at the elementary or secondary levels, we offer programs that lead to the Multiple Subject or Single Subject California Teaching Credential. If a student desires to teach special education, Benerd College offers Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Severe Education Specialist California Credential programs. All of the credentials that we offer are preliminary aside from the School Psychology Credential.

Teaching Credentials

A Multiple Subject Credential authorizes the holder to teach in a self-contained classroom at the pre-school through twelfth grade level. A self-contained classroom is one in which a variety of subjects are taught to the same group of students by the same teacher. Multiple Subject Credentials are typically used for teaching in elementary schools or self-contained settings. Upon completion of the Multiple Subject Credential program, you will be awarded the SB2042 Preliminary Multiple Subject Credential with English Language Learner Authorization embedded

Requirements to enter the Teacher Education Program:

State Requirements:

*It is recommended to have a 2.5 GPA for Undergraduate and a 3.0 GPA for graduate students 

An Education Specialist Credential authorizes the holder to teach children with special needs at the elementary and secondary level. The Education Specialist Credentials for Mild/Moderate (M/M), and Moderate/Severe (M/S) Disabilities, are stand-alone credentials that do not require a general education credential as a prerequisite. Embedded in these credentials is preparation for assisting students with autism. Upon completion of the Education Specialist Credential Program you will be awarded the SB 2042 Preliminary Education Specialist Credential with English Language Learner Authorization embedded. 

Requirements to enter the Teacher Education Program:

State Requirements:

*It is recommended to have a 2.5 GPA for Undergraduate and a 3.0 GPA for graduate students 

A Single Subject Credential authorizes the holder to teach in a departmentalized classroom. A departmentalized classroom is one in which the teacher specializes in his/her subject area and teaches that single subject only. Single subjects are taught primarily at the middle or secondary, grades 7-12 level, but some subjects (i.e., art, music, and physical education) may be taught by a single subject teacher at the elementary level. Upon completion of the Single Subject Credential program, you will be awarded the SB2042 Preliminary Single Subject Credential with English Language Learner Authorization embedded. 

Requirements to enter the Teacher Education Program:

State Requirements:

*It is recommended to have a 2.5 GPA for Undergraduate and a 3.0 GPA for graduate students  
*If you are looking to become a music teacher you must complete the subject matter test through the conservatory of music. Contact Ruth Brittin for more information 209.946.2408 

Licenses and Service Credentials

The LPPC program prepares you to enter the field of mental health counseling by providing the skills necessary to help promote positive change for individuals and groups. Licensed professional clinical counselors (LPCC) offer treatment and counseling to those with mental health and substance abuse issues."Professional clinical counseling" means the application of counseling interventions and psychotherapeutic techniques to identify and remediate cognitive, mental and emotional issues, including personal growth, adjustment to disability, crisis intervention, and psychosocial and environmental problems. 

Cutting Edge Curriculum

The 63 unit MA program and the 83 unit EdD program have been reviewed and accepted by the Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) in California. The programs were designed to meet the requirements of BPC section 4999.33. The programs contain graduate-level coursework in all 13 core content areas, advanced coursework, and supervised practicum as required by the Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS). They are taught by highly qualified faculty. The programs are grounded in theoretical principles and best practices in the field of counseling and have an emphasis on experiential learning. For full-time students who complete the LPCC as a standalone program, the coursework can typically be completed in two years for the MA and in three years for the EdD. Either program may be completed as a part-time program. Please note that both programs meet the coursework criteria for the LPCC, students will have to meet state criteria in order to become a licensed professional, including meeting minimum supervision requirements after graduation and passing state and/or national exams. 

Important Dates
This program only admits for a Fall Start
Priority/Preferred Application Deadline: February 15th
Graduate Assistant Application: Begins mid-January 

For more information on CA state licensure please go to http://www.bbs.ca.gov/lpcc_program/index.shtml 

For more information on Mental Health Counseling careers please go to http://www.amhca.org/ 

The Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential in Language, Speech and Hearing authorizes the holder to conduct Language, Speech, and Hearing Assessments and provide Educational Services, provide specific learning disability area services related to speech and language, and special education services to individuals with language and speech impairments across the special education disability areas, to students from birth through age 22 in services across the continuum of program options available found in California Code of Regulations Title 5 Section 80048.9.3 (see Terms and Definitions).

Requirements to enter the Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential Program:

Requirements for the Two-Year Preliminary CA SLP Credential:

Requirements for the Clear CA SLP Credential:

The Pupil Personnel Services Credential with the School Psychology Authorization allows individuals to provide school services in grades 12 and below. School psychologists attempt to foster the social, emotional and academic well being of all students by collaborating with families, school staff, and the community to ensure that students are educated in schools that support equity, access, and respect for all.

The school psychology credential is directly tied to the Ed.S. degree

Requirements to enter the program:

  • Must possess a Master's degree in a related field 
  • Must have grades no lower than a B in specific Master's coursework 

State Requirements:

  • Must successfully pass all required coursework
  • Must complete program assessments including the Praxis exam in school psychology
  • Must successfully pass all fieldwork and internship requirements and competencies
  • Must obtain passing scores on the CBEST  

The Benerd College is accredited by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC), the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)CTC Data Link 

Tile II results
Overview of University of the Pacific candidates
2016- 2017 Report

Frequently Asked Questions

The volunteer live scan is reported directly to the credential office and is required for our office to be in compliance with the CA Department of Justice regulations. The CASM live scan is to establish your professional record with the CA Teacher Credentialing Commission

Yes, if you already hold a valid CA permit issued by the CA Credentialing commission, it may be submitted in place of the Certificate of Clearance and you will not have to complete the CASM fingerprints.

The basic skills requirement can be met either by passing the CBEST or CSET Writing Skills in combination with the CSET Multiple Subjects subtest I, II, & III exams it is required of anyone who is pursuing a teaching credential. California Education Code Sections 44252 and 44252.6 specify that candidates must demonstrate, in English, proficiency in basic reading, writing, and mathematics skills.  Please check with the credential analyst for specifics regarding alternative tests to meet the basic skills requirement. The subject matter requirement must be met by anyone pursuing a Multiple Subject, Single Subject Teaching or Preliminary Education Specialist Credential. This means that you have to prove to the state that you know the subject area that you will be teaching. Subject matter requirements are met:

  • Multiple Subject (MS) Candidates & Education Specialist Credential by passing the three sections of the CSET Multi-Subject test
  • Single Subject (SS) Candidates by passing the CSET in specific subject matter

Information can be found on the CTC Exams website.

The credential analyst will review transcripts to see if the requirement has been met. If you earned your bachelor's degree at a California State University (CSU) you automatically meet the requirement.  This requirement can be met by passing the online test offered by Notre Dame de Namur University found at the U.S. Constitution Exam website.

Yes, since 2004 the credential earned, whether MS, SS or Ed Specialist is an SB 2042 which is NCLB compliant through passage of the CSET and has English Learner authorization embedded in the program.

No, the CPR course must be an in seat course which covers Infant, Child & Adult CPR (also known as Pediatric & Adult).

            MS = Multiple Subject
            SS = Single Subject
*When registering for classes please enroll in the section appropriate to the credential you are pursuing

You can learn about field work and the requirements on our Student Teaching and Interning page.

Yes.  A fee of $30 is required and payable by exact cash or check.